Woodburn to Broadwater service road – Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade
Project description –
On behalf of the Australian and NSW governments, Roads and Maritime Services is progressively upgrading the Pacific Highway to dual carriageway between the Hunter and NSW/Queensland border. The Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade involves the duplication of 155 kilometres to a four-lane divided road. The upgrade starts about six kilometres north of Woolgoolga (north of Coffs Harbour) and ends about six kilometres south of Ballina.
The Woodburn to Broadwater service road is part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade. SEE Civil worked collaboratively with Roads and Maritime Services and Pacific Complete to deliver this part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade.
Our work included-
- Construction of the main alignment of a 3.5-kilometre new service road between Woodburn and Broadwater in northern New South Wales, adjacent to the existing Pacific Highway and within the Broadwater National Park.
- Design and construction of temporary intersections and site accesses
- All approved clearing and grubbing for the site
- All earthworks for the road alignment
- Installation of drainage infrastructure
- All road surface, primer, seal, road barriers, fencing, road furniture and other ancillary works required for the road construction.
- Construction of a bridge over a fauna passage on the service road including installation of tubular piles. Bridge construction included:
- Construction of bridge foundations consisting of 900Dia and 1050Dia steel driven piles, which were concrete infilled. For the central pier, 1050Dia piles were extended to 900Dia cast-in-situ columns.
- Construction of a two-span bridge over a fauna passage with each span consisting of six pre-stressed concrete planks.
- Installation of all earthwork for pre-cast abutments on both sides of the bridge.
- Pre-stressed, pre-cast concrete deck planks were tied together with a 180mm thick cast-in-situ deck.
By moving traffic onto the service road work will continue on the new highway. Separating traffic will help minimise the impact of work and improve safety for workers and highway motorists. The service road will remain as a local road between Woodburn and Broadwater following the completion of the Pacific Highway upgrade.
- Location - Pacific Highway between Woodburn and Broadwater
- Start Date - February 2017
- Completion Date - December 2017
- Value - $40M
- Client - Roads and Maritime Services