Soft soil early work south of Woodburn – Pacific Highway Upgrade Woolgoolga to Ballina
Project description –
On behalf of the Australian and NSW governments, Roads and Maritime Services is progressively upgrading the Pacific Highway to dual carriageway between the Hunter and NSW/Queensland border. The Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade involves the duplication of 155 kilometres to a four-lane divided road. The upgrade starts about six kilometres north of Woolgoolga (north of Coffs Harbour) and ends about six kilometres south of Ballina.
The soft soil early work south of Woodbrun is part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade. SEE Civil worked collaboratively with Roads and Maritime Services and Pacific Complete to deliver this part of the Woolgoolga to Ballina Pacific Highway upgrade.
Our work included:
- Foundation treatments using about 70,000 cubic metres of drainage rock
- Installation of about 320,000 metres of vertical wick drains
- Installation of specialised geotechnical instruments for settlement monitoring of soft soils, including vibrating wire, bored, nested and standing piezometers, inclinometers, settlement plate, data loggers and hydrostatic profile gauges
- Importing about 185,000 cubic metres of earth fill materials
- High strength earth reinforcement using geotextiles and geosynthetic materials
- Design and construction of deceleration lanes on the Pacific Highway to facilitate site and haulage vehicle movements, including traffic management on the Pacific Highway.
- Working with fill height limitations of 1.5 meters per week.
- Installation of HDPE drainage pipes due to soft soil zones
- Clearing and grubbing undertaken within endangered ecological communities
- Management of acid sulfate and soft soil conditions of varying levels across the project area.
The soft soil early work was undertaken in this area to ensure the required settlement could be achieved before starting main civil work.
- Location - Pacific Highway South of Woodburn
- Start Date - March 2016
- Completion Date - February 2017
- Value - $43M
- Client - Roads and Maritime Services