Cardwell Foreshore Reconstruction PEND 1607
Description of Works –
Full Pavement Reconstruction of Bruce Highway and local roads
- 1.8km long section of an average 16m wide pavement (Bruce Highway)
- 2km of local Access Roads.
- 5 Intersection reconstructions and 1 new roundabout construction
- Granular unbound pavements
- Asphalt Pavement
- Two coat seal pavements
- Design and construct of two carparks
- Stormwater piped culvert crossings
- Demolition of kerbs, pathways, culverts and utilities
- New kerbs, pathways, street lighting and road furniture
- Decorative traffic islands
- New electrical road lighting
Construction of 900m of Seawall along the foreshore in a tidal environment.
- Blast, sort and process 180,000t of rock armour and haul to site
- 60,000m3 of cut in marine environment to RL – 2.5m
- 19,000m3 of ASS excavation and treatment in an offsite ASS treatment area
- Dewatering and treatment of water before discharge
- Sheet piling to work zone
Construction of landscaping features, structures and play equipment along the Cardwell foreshore (3.5km)
- Design and construct of numerous structural landscaping features such as amphitheatres, stairs structures, boardwalks, observation platforms and playground structures.
- 20,000m2 of decorative concrete shared pathway
- Two Play Ground facilities
- Basketball court
- Amenity blocks
- Design and construct irrigation reticulation
- Design and construct park lighting
Special Features –
- Complex traffic management switching and staging
- Impeding construction works that interface with the road users on the Bruce Highway through Cardwell, shops, residents, schools, police station, service stations, council pool, tourist information centre and basketball court.
- Electrical lighting and switching in restricted working areas.
- Construction of Sea Wall in tidal environment
- Environmental management and treatment of Acid Sulphate Soils
In 2014, this project was a finalist in the Wildcard category at the UDIA QLD Awards for Excellence and a finalist in Category 4 (projects $20 million to $25 million) in the QLD branch CCF Earth Awards. Read the CCF award submission here.
- Location - Cardwell QLD
- Start Date - July 2012
- Completion Date - November 2013
- Value - $30.5 Million
- Client - Department of Transport Main Roads QLD
- Consultant - SKM
Cardwell Reconstruction QLD Finalist 2014The CCF Earth Awards 2014 – Category 4 Projects $20 Million to $75 Million – Finalist for Cardwell Reconstruction Download PDF